Wednesday, April 01, 2009

This happens to you too, right?

So. I was meeting a mate in a bar I rarely frequent last night. Just for a quick pint on the way home from work. As my steaming cold pint of Staropramen was placed in front of me I casually asked if they had wifi. "Oh yes," the barman replied, "let me write down the password for you."

He came back with a piece of paper with the place's phone number (the password) and asked if I knew anything about computers....

"I look like I do, don't I?", I replied. "Errr, a bit", he said.

Anyway, it transpired that because they'd previously had the network open and it had been severely hogged by neighbouring students, they'd stuck a simple password on and subsequently anyone in the bar could connect, but not the mac mini behind the bar they used to play music.

Sigh. "Hang on, then". 10 minutes later and it was sorted. Channel 6, WEP, non-broadcast SSID....ideal bar parameters if you ask me.

Also, 2 free pints...

FYI: Bar Humbug, Whiteladies Rd, Bristol = "humbug", "12345" :)

1 comment:

Clicky Web Analytics