Monday, July 10, 2006

Children, Allotments, Jam, Hair, Festivals, Beards, Work, Pictures....

...not today. I went a bit mental today and ordered a few things (not much!) to finally (this must be the end....there is such a thing as overkill!)...complete "Teh System" as I like to think of it....so by the end of the week (thus giving me a brilliant excuse to skive a dig up the allotment), I'll need to sort out the whole power/cabling/desk/childproofing again....

So here's a bit of a geekfest!

Mac Mini : Intel Core Solo 2.16 GHz, 512 MB, 80 GB, EyeTV/DAB Mini, CDRW/DVD, Bluetooth, Wireless 802.11b/g

Ubuntu [Workstation] : P4 3.2GHz, 512 MB, 400 GB, 1 x CD/DVD, 1 x CDRW/DVDRW, Card-Reader, Wireless 802.11b/g

Slax [Firewall / Admin] : P2 800 MHz (Overclocked), 128 MB, 40 GB, 1 x CD

Ubuntu [Laptop] : Celeron 1.5 GHz, 256 MB, 40 GB, CDRW/DVD Bluetooth, 802.11a/b/g, 15" TFT

Work [Laptop] : HP Thing running (not very well) FlyAKiteOSX on an Orange Windows XP Build (that's right it was not bad enough as it was!)...with some hardware in it (apparently).

Gumstix Waysmall : Running some brand of linux (not doing much other than look like a packet of fags on my desk at the moment) ;-)

Linksys WRT54G : Running Linux Firmware!

External Storage : 250 GB USB Drive, Various memory-sticks from 16 MB to 512 MB

Volume : 80 Watt Sherwood Amp, Monitor speakers

Other : 1.5 Mbps Cable Modem, Wireless switchable Keyboard and Mouse, a half-built homemade PMP made from a SonyEricsson P800, webcam wired up to photo thefty people, half a dozen 3/4 assembled "Stealth Cams" and various components thereof, the head portion of a homemade robot (webcam casing, christmas lights, the innards of a talking bear....some polystyrene), docking station for Work laptop, a UPS, 2 or 3 x 6 way plug-splitters...a small solar panel.....loads of other basically unidentifiable components (including a small LCD from one of the 1st mac laptops), 3-in-1 Scanner/Copier/Printer...

I dread to think what would happen if all was turned on at once....which obviously makes me think: Why, Guri? Why?

And my only answer is weak: Because it appears I can....because they all do things slightly differently.......because I have basically self-taught myself to build, maintain and run the machines and the network they run (on).

So. Anyway I have now cut up that credit card and scheduled massive payments for the rest of the year....just as well I'll have all this kit to play with and thank Babbage for Wireless LAN or there'd be tons of cabling to figure out.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics