Saturday, July 22, 2006

Calmer Kharma Karl Mar...x

OK. Rapid update: Not as angry as I was last night...I think some of it might have been down to the fact that a couple of months ago I started planning a trip to Lebanon and now the bloody Zionists have shat on my plans.

Anyway. Couldn't sleep last night, and had this weird sort of waking-dream experience...the upshot of which is I finally understood (in one of those acid-flashback style moments of clarity) what was wrong with Daptop, Linux and the Wireless Chipset Drivers....you don't want to hear about the complete re-install, Automatix update for codecs and cool stuff, the 3 LINES I HAD TO TYPE IN A TERMINAL!!!!

3 Lines and one small package install (about 150kb!).

Finally!

I am now confident to wave Daptop at Windoze zealots and prove that it is better....it's definitely faster than my (twice as powerful) work HP laptop that runs XP (and yes, I had to get rid of the Mac skinning thing because it BSOD'd me every time a WLAN became available!!)

So. 360 of her maj's pounds, a 650Mb download for the free OS, 48 hours on a crash-course learning Linux kernel and drivers, a few more downloads, some headaches and heartaches and you too can have a groovy cheap mobile workstation.

Tell you what, send me £400 and I'll send you a brand new Lenovo C100 (1.5Mhz Celeron, 256 Mb, 40 Gb, CD-RW/DVD) with a great custom Ubuntu install..... :-)

Now what's the stupidest f*cking name I can think to call it?

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics